Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Producer's Life


For a while now, I have discussed many things about starting a music/overdub studio.  But then I realized that I have not discussed my ultimate goal, which is to be a great music producer.  Being a producer does not mean making “beats.”  Being a producer means being a musician, composer, songwriter, sound engineer, but mostly, an all-around visionary.  Dan Conner mentioned on a blog on The Stereo Bus that, “producers are the people who decide how best to artistically and creatively represent the artist in a release.” 

It has been helpful through the past year to learn and apply facts and tips about the entertainment business, especially the music industry.  I have learned that although someone has talent or an art, it is best to properly own it.  This is true because everyone in the industry wants to own a piece or all of one’s intellectual property.  For instance, I read an article in Variety about Journey’s producer Roy Thomas Baker suing Sony Music for unpaid royalties.  Although I am an independent music producer, it is important for all producers to negotiate how the royalties will be split between themselves and a label. 

Being a music producer has its good and bad moments but that comes with the territory of the business.  With any business however comes with troubles but as long as you work hard with your craft, you will gain twice as more than what you have lost.  With that being said, having experience in the music industry pays off.  For example, I read on The Hollywood Report about the legendary producers, Quincy Jones and Pharrell Williams being honored the ASCAP Founders Award and the Golden Note Award for their hard work in creating wonderful music. 

I believe music is a lifestyle and I feel that music production is my contribution to the world. To learn more about producers, their duties, and other things dealing with music, check out The Stereo Bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment