Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Phunky Update


It has been a while since I posted a blog entry, so here is some good news on the journey of Philonius.  I am now a producer of Tunnel Vision Records, an LLC that supports independent artists without the use of 360 deals.  In the past couple of months, I have been working with independent artists in Orlando like hip hop artist Niko Is, soul singer Reilly, hip hop artist Kilam, just to name a few.  It has been a great experience to work on music with other artists because usually I work alone and then send my material to the artists.  Even though I work with a label, I am still an independent producer.  This is great because I can still make the music I want and still get paid.

I have also become a member of BMI.  BMI or Broadcast Music, Inc. is a company that collects license fees so the artists or producers can receive royalties.  With BMI, if you are a publisher, you can join for free.  I can only join one property rights organization (PRO) and it lasts for two years.  I have learned that in my business within accounting, I can belong to all three PRO’s but within three separate accounts.  As a producer, some of the artists want me to use samples in songs.  I read on the ASCAP website that they will clear the samples, which saves me time from asking different record labels for licenses.  It costs a bit extra for ASCAP but it will be worth it in the long run.

It has been a leisurely paced journey to success but success does not happen overnight.  I have done so much but to be honest, it is only the beginning.  I am fine with my goals keeping me motivated and my business plan keeping me on edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment